New Entries

  • Dedicated October 3, 1943 by Bishop Molloy1,2

  • Cornerstone laid by Bishop Loughlin on 27 September 1891; the church was dedicated 26 November 1893. Rev. E. J. McGolrick was the priest in charge of construction of the church. The rectory and a separate chapel were constructed at the same time, with both also designed by Poole.

  • The Gayety was owned and operated by Hyde & Behman, a Brooklyn based theater management company that grew to operate theaters in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Newark, Pittsburgh and Chicago. Richard Hyde and Louis Behman started their company in Brooklyn in 1877, with their first theater on Adams Street, in Downtown Brooklyn. This theater was built in 1892, and was designed by J.B. McElfatrick, a very successful and well-known theater designer, with quite a roster of Brooklyn buildings to his name. The house opened up on November 7, 1892 with a vaudeville act.

     

  • Norman avenue and Diamond street, three four-story buff brick and Indiana limestone tenements, 25x65; cost, $25,000; John Nuffe, owner; John M. Baker, No. 27 Hart street. archltect. 1

    • 1. Real estate record and builders' guide: v. 60, no. 1551: December 4, 1897, page 859.
  • <p>From Shorpy, <a href="http://www.shorpy.com/node/12464">a photo of a model two-room tenement</a> constructed within the Museum of Natural History as part of a 1908 "Congestion Exhibition". The model tenement was built by the Association for Practical Housekeeping Centres as part of a display on housekeeping courses the Association offered to tenement women.</p>

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…