New Entries

  • Edward J. McGolrick was born in Ireland on May 9, 1857 and received his religious training at the North American College in Rome, from which he was ordained in June of 1882. McGolrick was first assigned to St. Patrick Church on Kent Avenue, where he served from 1882 to 1888. In 1888, McGolrick was assigned to St. Cecilia's Church, where he served until his death on August 22, 1938.

  • Brooklyn's oldest known mosque, and possibly the first mosque established in New York City, is located on Power Street.

  • The northwest corner of Evergreen Avenue and Woodbine Street is believed to be the site of first house constructed in the New Bushwick Lotts, an area granted by Peter Stuyvesant to the residents of the village of Bushwick in 1661. The first house was erected here in about 1700, built by a man named Van Nuyse. The house and three lots (about 70 acres total) were purchased by Leffert Lefferts from William Van Nuyse of New Utrecht in 1724.

  • Convent constructed for the Sisters of St. Dominic, who prior to taking up residence here had been located at Graham and Montrose avenues. The building was converted to residential use starting in the mid-1980s.

  • Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide, v. 27, no. 682: April 9, 1881, 333.

  • Lawrence B. Valk (1838-1924) was a prominent Protestant church architect and theorist. He practiced under his own name and with his son Arthur, under the firm L. B. Valk & Son. Valk was based in Brooklyn and New York from 1859 to the early 1890s, but was very active throughout the United States. Around 1890, the firm moved to California, where it continued to be active through 1924.

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…