New Entries

  • Constructed in 1889, this bank was ideally located at the foot of Grand Street across the street from the Grand Street Ferry terminal. With the opening of the Williamsburg Bridge in 1903, traffic on the ferry quickly waned, and by 1912 the bank had relocated its headquarters to Havemeyer Street, facing onto the Williamsburg Bridge Plaza.

  • All Saints parish was organized in 1866 as an offshoot of Most Holy Trinity parish on Montrose. As with Most Holy Trinity, All Saints parish was organized to serve the expanding German immigrant population in Williamsburg and Bushwick. The first church for All Saints was a brick structure, was consecrated in 1867. By the 1890s, the parish had outgrown its original church and the architecture firm of Schickel & Ditmars was hired to design a new church.

  • Partnership of J. William Schickel and Isaac E. Ditmars. Active primarily in New York City as well as in Brooklyn. The firm was especially known for its work on Roman Catholic churches for German congregations.

  • Congregation founded in 1895 for second- and third-generation German immigrants. The Romanesque church features stained glass windows from the studio of Franz Meyer, Munich.

  • Stephen W. Dodge & Robert Morrison.

  • Church was founded in 1869. The first structure used by the congregation was a former public hall on Cumberland Street. From 1871 to 1893, the congregation worshipped in a frame church that they had moved from Gold Street to Carlton Avenue near Myrtle Avenue.1

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…