architect

architect

Theodore A. Havemeyer

Theodore A. Havemeyer (May 17, 1839 – April 26, 1897) and his brother, Henry O. Havemeyer, transformed the family sugar refining operation into the Sugar Trust. The brothers were the sons of Frederick C. Havemeyer, Jr. and grandsons of Frederick C. Havemeyer, one of the founding partners of the Havemeyer sugar empire. Theodore oversaw the operations of the refineries and was responsible for the design of the Havemyers & Elder Sugar Refinery (1884) in Williamsburgh.

Lawrence B. Valk

Lawrence B. Valk (1838-1924) was a prominent Protestant church architect and theorist. He practiced under his own name and with his son Arthur, under the firm L. B. Valk & Son. Valk was based in Brooklyn and New York from 1859 to the early 1890s, but was very active throughout the United States. Around 1890, the firm moved to California, where it continued to be active through 1924.

Richard Thomas Short

R. (Richard) Thomas Short was active in Brooklyn and Manhattan real estate. In the early 20th century, Short had a partnership Herbert Harde (Steinhardt), which resulted in the design of Red House (350 West 85th Street), 45 East 66th Street, 44 West 77th Street and Alwyn Court at 58th Street and Seventh Avenue as well as aabout a dozen other apartment houses in Manhattan. Harde & Short's best known work in Brooklyn is Kismet Temple (1910) at Nostrand and Herkimer. Harde & Short broke up their partnership aronud 1912.

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…