R. (Richard) Thomas Short was active in Brooklyn and Manhattan real estate. In the early 20th century, Short had a partnership Herbert Harde (Steinhardt), which resulted in the design of Red House (350 West 85th Street), 45 East 66th Street, 44 West 77th Street and Alwyn Court at 58th Street and Seventh Avenue as well as aabout a dozen other apartment houses in Manhattan. Harde & Short's best known work in Brooklyn is Kismet Temple (1910) at Nostrand and Herkimer. Harde & Short broke up their partnership aronud 1912. Short's later career focused largely on commercial structures, including a number of theaters for the Century Circuit in Brooklyn, Westchester and on Long Island.
Short was born in Canada in about 1870, and died in his home at Baldwin, Long Island in January, 1950.1
- 1. "R. Thomas Short, Architect, Designed Big Boro Buildings", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, January 10, 1950, page 11.