Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.


 

New Entries

  • Constructed as the boiler house for J. Kayser & Co., manufacturer of silk goods and underwear. The building was a single story, but 85' tall. Kayser's factory was located on this block and on the block to the east. W.L. Fleisher & Co. were the engineers for the construction.1 The building has been converted to residential use, with windows introduced throughout the front facade.

  • Rev. Father Emil Strenski.

    reference: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, 11 January 1919 (v. 103, no. 2), 61.

  • Located at the southeast corner of Stagg Street and Leonard Street, on the present-day site of Williamsburg Houses. Date of demolition is not known.

  • Building record source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, (v. 21, no. 523) 23 March 1878.

    Two buildings fronting on Graham Avenue appear to be of the same design.

  • Listed in the Real Estate Record as 5 stories, built at 6.1 The building was sold by Thomas to Israel Rokeach in 1913. By 1917, the building was occupied by Israel Rokeach and the Progressive Knitting Mills. In that year, a catastrophic fire occurred that nearly destroyed the building.

  • Permits filed in 1885 for a three-story building1, this building has also been attributed to Theobald Engelhardt.

    • 1. Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, 7 March 1885.
  • New law tenement, listed in DOB records as five stories1, the high stoop and basement arrangement for the stores (resulting in six usable stories) is more a more typical form of tenements on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Recent Articles

  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…