brick

1118 Lorimer Street

Hugh Roberts was a local mason who developed these three buildings at the corner of Noble Street and Lorimer Street, as well as the buildings to the south on Lorimer and east on Noble. Architect in the Real Estate Record is listed as "E. J. E. and G. J. Roberts", perhaps a relation to Hugh Roberts; the Greenpoint Historic District designation report lists the architect as E. S. Evans. Evans is listed as the architect for other Roberts projects in the designation report. The Robertses cited in the Real Estate Record may be the builders.

151 Kent Avenue

Havemeyers & Elder first built a two-story warehouse on this site in 1874. In May of 1887, the building suffered a catastrophic fire. According to the Brooklyn Eagle, the building was used as a depot by the Erie Railroad, managed by L. M. Palmer, and owned and operated by Havemeyers & Elder. Soon after, Havemeyers & Elder rebuilt the building as a three-story warehouse.

Recent Articles

  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…