1101 Eastern Parkway
St. Matthew's School - 250 Utica Avenue (1913). John F. O'Hara, paster of St. Matthew
10 Mar 1901 (p 8) "Priests to Celebrate Their Silver Jubilees". P.J. McGlinchey - photo. "He is not eloquent, but is a pleasant talker."
5 Jun 1902 (p. 10) - "Church of St. Matthew: Handsome Edifice Nearly Completed."
29 Jun 1902 - "Not Built in a Day" - letter to the editor.
1914 - new church on Eastern Parkway dedicated. 17 May (Eagle, Brooklyn, New York, Monday, May 18, 1914). Eastern Parkway and Utica Avenue. Bishop McDonnell dedicated, attended by Msgr. McGoldrick [sic] of St. Cecilia and Msgr. Taaffe of St. Patrick. High mass by by Rev. Francis J. O'Hara, rector of St. James pro-cathedral. Msgr. E. W. McCarty, recor of St. Augustine's, preached the sermon.
30 Jun 1912 (p. 59) - "$100,000 Church Plans Filed" - Rev. John O'Hara of St. M, Utica Avenue and Lincoln Place, filed plans for a new edifice, to be located on north side of Eastern Parkway between Utica and Schenectady avenues. McKenzie, Voorhees & Gmelin are the architects. Property is 100 x 200 and extends from Eastern Parkway to Lincoln place. To be constructed of concrete and brick, 56' wide at the front.
Rapid growth of the parish has made it necessary to seek larger quarters. St.M was organized in 1883 and the first building was compelted in 1885. An addition was constructed "several years later" when the congregation increased to 1,500. Article does not mention a 1902 church.
26 October 1912 (p. 15) - cornerstone of new church to be laid on Sunday, November 3.
21 July 1913, page 1 - Patrolman John E. Cahill was "murdered in cold blood" this morning when he surprised burglars breaking into St. Matthew. Stabbed twice in the head and shot with a .38 bullet. Reference to "Pigtown", a tenement district south of Malbone Street. Separate reference to negro section of Atlantic Avenue called "Chicago Row"
17 May 1914 (p. 60) "St. Matthew's New R.C. Church is Dedicated Today" Includes photo of church and of Fr. John O'Hara. "The entire front facade of the edifice is granite; the side walls are faced with gray brick with stone trim, and there is a red-tiled roof." "The walls are decorated in blue and gold. There are handsome mural paintings of the four evangelists, and the dome has been covered with a huge painting, 'Gloria in Excelcis Deo', surrounding a sunburst... The most beautiful mural painting in the church is "The Ascension", done on canvas by Rambusch."
In the early part of 1885 St. M parish was strated at a meeting in the home of Edward Synott in Malbone Street near Troy Avenue called by Fr. McHugh, the rector of Holy Cross in Flatbush. Property was soon bought and the first St M church was started and completed within a few months. It was a frame structure and was situated on Schenectady avenue near Montgomery Street. Father O'Boyle was appointed as first pastor in June 1886. After two years, pruchased property at Lincoln place and Utica avenue. New church opened in March of 1890. O'Boyle died on April 8, 1890 from a cold contracted "in his great zeal and activity to complete the work he had begun, with an utter disregard for his own health and comfort". Rev. P.J. McClinchey, rector of Church of St. John a t Riverhead, was appointed
"The Diocese of Brooklyn" (p. 571). 1885, new parish. Attended by Rev. J. B. McHugh from Flatbush. In 1886, James O'Boyle, whose residence was at St. Mary's Hospital, took charge of the new parish. In 1888 he secured a residence at 257 Utica Avenue and built a brick church. Lists O'Boyle's death as April 10. Native of Belfast, 50 years old at time of death. Succeeded by Rev. Patrick J. McGlinchy. Parish grew so fast it became necessary to build another church. "No expense, either of art or money, was spared to make this one of of the most beautiful and substantial churches in Brooklyn. The exterior is of Vermonth cut granite, and the architecrture is Romanesque. In dimensions the church is 125 feet long and 75 feet wide, and has a capacity of 1200. It contains three beautiful Carrara marble altars. The church was dedicated by Bishop McDonnell in August, 1902. McGlinchy died on October 13, 1903. Rev. William T. Kerwin became the next pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. John F. O'Hara, former paster of St. Luke's Whitestone. A new school was dedicated in the fall of 1913. Parish numbers about 3000.