Edward J. McGolrick was born in Ireland on May 9, 1857 and received his religious training at the North American College in Rome, from which he was ordained in June of 1882. McGolrick was first assigned to St. Patrick Church on Kent Avenue, where he served from 1882 to 1888. In 1888, McGolrick was assigned to St. Cecilia's Church, where he served until his death on August 22, 1938. 1
In 1927, McGolrick opened St. St. Cecilia's Hospital under the oversight of the Dominican Sisters. The Hospital was founded "to reduce maternity costs for poor families". In 1939, St. Cecilia's Hospital was renamed St. Catherine's Maternity Hospital Monsignor McGolrick Memorial.2
In 1940, Winthrop Park in Greenpoint was renamed in Msgr. McGolrick's honor.