stone

stone

St. Patrick's R.C. Church

St. Patrick parish was founded in 1849 as St. Patrick Church Mission to serve Ft. Hamilton area, making it one of the oldest parishes in Brooklyn. The church was the Catholic parish of soldiers stationed at Ft. Hamilton. The first St. Patrick church was dedicated in 1852. The cornerstone for the current chuch was laid on October 11, 1925 and the church was dedicated by Bishop Molloy on December 12, 1926.1

500 State Street

Originally constructed as a pair of row houses in 1854, these two buildings were combined in 1923 as a funeral parlor for the Brooklyn Casket Co.1 The buildings were modified in a Gothic style, with a one-story brick and stone extension to the front of the property in stone and new lintels and parapet in the Perpendicular Gothic style.

Greenpoint Reformed Dutch Church

"The Greenpoint Reformed Dutch Church is going up in K street, near Union avenue. It is to be in the Romanesque style of the French city of Rheims in the thirteenth century. It will be of brick, faced with light and brown stone. It will front 74 feet between the extreme edges of the towers, and will be 95 feet in depth. The cost is to be $50,000. William B. Ditmar [sic] is the architect." 1

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…