Calyer Street

Calyer Street in Greenpoint was laid out in 1852. The street was named after Jacobus Calyer (died 18041 or 17662). The Calyer were one of five families who owned and farmed most of Greenpoint in the 18th and early 19th century. According to the Greenpoint Historic District designation report, Calyer Street ran through the northern section of the former Calyer farm.3 The Calyer farm, constituting about 65 acres, was located in this area until 1848.4

In Greenpoint's original street grid, Calyer Street corresponded to P Street.

 

 

  • 1. Landmarks Preservation Commission, Greenpoint Historic District Designaton Report (New York, N.Y.: City of New York, 1982), 16.
  • 2. Leonard Benardo and Jennifer Weiss, Brooklyn by Name (New York: New York University Press, 2006), 15.
  • 3. Landmarks Preservation Commission, Greenpoint Historic District Designaton Report (New York, N.Y.: City of New York, 1982), 16.
  • 4. Leonard Benardo and Jennifer Weiss, Brooklyn by Name (New York: New York University Press, 2006), 15.

Recent Articles

  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…