The Parish of the Most Precious Blood was founded in 1922, with Edward A. Holran as the first parish priest. The original parishioners were predominantly Irish, German and Italian residents of Long Island City. Fr. James J. Comerford was the priest at the time of the construction of the chuch.
The First Methodist Church of Williamsburgh was organized in 1806, making it the oldest ecclesiastical organization in the village of Williamsburgh, and the second oldest church in the Town of Bushwick