New & Updated

  • Currently occupied by the Bethesda Memorial Baptist Church, this building was constructed in 1894-96 for the Bushwick Avenue Congregational Church. The church was organized in 1887.

    The church and parish house next door were designed by Fowler & Hough (AIA Guide incorrectly attributes the design of the church to Parfitt Brothers).

     

  • "Charles Engert, the builder, will erect 36 two-story frame dwellings with brick basements, all improvements, 18*50 each, on Humboldt Street, both sides, between Driggs and Nassau Avenues, F. J. Berlenbach, Jr., architect."1

    Reference is to buildings on both side of the street, 637 to 663 Humboldt Street and 654 to 692 Humboldt Street.

  • "Charles Engert, the builder, will erect 36 two-story frame dwellings with brick basements, all improvements, 18*50 each, on Humboldt Street, both sides, between Driggs and Nassau Avenues, F. J. Berlenbach, Jr., architect."1

    Reference is to buildings on both side of the street, 637 to 663 Humboldt Street and 654 to 692 Humboldt Street.

  • Constructed with 109 to 111 Franklin Street, this handsome pair of richly-decorated tenements is clad in red brick with sandstone trim, terrace cotta trim and iron cornices. The terra cotta details include decorative tiles in the lower spandrel areas and vertical piers between paired windows at 109, and at decorative panels within the round and segmental arches at the fourth floor. The sandstone trim (perhaps an Ohio stone) is a mix of rock-faced lintels and arch spring blocks and flat sills and sill courses. The flat-arch windows feature splayed brick lintels.

  • Constructed with 97 to 101 Franklin Street, this handsome pair of richly-decorated tenements is clad in red brick with sandstone trim, terrace cotta trim and iron cornices. The terra cotta details include decorative tiles in the lower spandrel areas and vertical piers between paired windows at 109, and at decorative panels within the round and segmental arches at the fourth floor. The sandstone trim (perhaps an Ohio stone) is a mix of rock-faced lintels and arch spring blocks and flat sills and sill courses. The flat-arch windows feature splayed brick lintels.

  • Partnership of J. William Schickel and Isaac E. Ditmars. Active primarily in New York City as well as in Brooklyn. The firm was especially known for its work on Roman Catholic churches for German congregations.

  • Stephen W. Dodge & Robert Morrison.

  • Architect of St. Luke's German Evangelical Lutheran Church (1894), St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church, 222 Adelphi Street (Marshall & Walters, 1888), Memorial Presbyterain Church (Pugin & Walter, 1882-83), Chapel and Sunday School (Marshall & Walter, 1883), Seventh Avenue & St. John's Place.


Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.

Novelty Theater now includes information from the Bushwiki. Read more here.


 

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…