"Th. Engelhardt is preparing plans for a four-story brick (stone front) store and flat, 22x90, to be erected on the northeast corner of Bedford avenue and Hayward [sic, Heyward] street, and a similar private flat, 28x65, adjoining, for Jacob Bossert, to cost $30,000..."1
Renamed Ralph Rangel Houses in 1975.
The Novelty Court apartments is a new-law tenement that occupies the site of the former Novelty Theatre. The site was the location of a theatre or public venue as early as 1852, when the Odeon opened on the site. The venue operated alternately as the Odeon, Novelty and American through 1919.