Opened on October 14, 1901 as a vaudeville theater. The original theater had a seating capacity of 2,170. William Fox took the theater over in 1909, showing movies and vaudeville shows. The building was demolished in 1949.
The Gayety was owned and operated by Hyde & Behman, a Brooklyn based theater management company that grew to operate theaters in Brooklyn, Manhattan, Newark, Pittsburgh and Chicago. Richard Hyde and Louis Behman started their company in Brooklyn in 1877, with their first theater on Adams Street, in Downtown Brooklyn. This theater was built in 1892, and was designed by J.B. McElfatrick, a very successful and well-known theater designer, with quite a roster of Brooklyn buildings to his name. The house opened up on November 7, 1892 with a vaudeville act.
Former Grand Theater, now at 196 Grand Street with theater house on South 1st Street (now a church).