Johnson Street (Centenary) M. E. Church

Organized in 1839 by a group of parishioners from Washington Street M. E. Church who were dissatisfied over the appointment of a preacher. Originally called the Centenary M. E. Church in honor of the centenary of Methodism in 1839, the congregation changed its name to the Johnson Street M. E. Church in 1868. The first church for the congregation was constructed in 1840 at a cost of $8,000.1

  • 1Henry R. Stiles, ed., Civil, Political, Professional and Ecclesiastical History of the County of Kings and the City of Brooklyn from 1683 to 1884 (New York, N.Y., United States: W.W. Munsell, 1884), 1032.
Place type
Date
1839