Organized on 18 June 1842 and Incorporated in 1844. William Harden, a blind Black preacher was the first and only leader of the church. The first place of worship was in a rope walk, and after that burned the congregation met in private houses. After Harden's death in 1847, the congregation split up, with most of the worshippers moving over to the African M. E. Church on High Street.1
- 1Henry R. Stiles, ed., Civil, Political, Professional and Ecclesiastical History of the County of Kings and the City of Brooklyn from 1683 to 1884 (New York, N.Y., United States: W.W. Munsell, 1884), 1032.