Part of the Eberhard Faber Historic District. The only building in the district that was not purpose-built as a factory for the Eberhard Faber Pencil Co.
Source: Real Estate Record & Builders Guide, vol. 28, no. 702 (August 27, 1881), 848.
Part of the Eberhard Faber Historic District. The only building in the district that was not purpose-built as a factory for the Eberhard Faber Pencil Co.
Source: Real Estate Record & Builders Guide, vol. 28, no. 702 (August 27, 1881), 848.
“Buildings Projected,” Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide 19, no. 477 (n.d.): 365.
Originally constructed as a three story building, the top floor was removed after 1940. “Buildings Projected,” Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide 19, no. 479 (n.d.): 413.
“Buildings Projected,” Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide 19, no. 484 (n.d.): 514.
This building at 125 Eagle Street looks like it was once something, and sure enough it was. It was built in 1891 as the Children's Mission, a project of the Greenpoint Reformed Church on Kent Street. The Mission was established on November 20, 1881 as a Sunday school occupying a storefront on Eagle Street.
St. James Cathedral Basilica is the second church building to serve this parish. The first church was constructed in 1822 and was the first Roman Catholic church on Long Island. In 1852, St. James became the cathedral parish for the newly-established Diocese of Brooklyn under Bishop Loughlin.