Cornerstone laid July 1874; church was not completed until ca. 1905. Architect is unknown - attributed to Keely or Houghton.
The Third Congregational Society (Unity Chapel) was founded in 1867, following a public invitation from Reverend A. P. Putnam. Thirteen "residents of Central Brooklyn of liberal conviction" met at 292 Ryerson Street, home of James Whiting, on September 30, 1867 to organize the church. The first religious services were held the following Sunday, October 6th, in a room over a fish market at the corner of Classon and Fulton Avenues. Two services were held that day - a morning service by Rev. Dr. F. A. Farley and an evening service by Rev.