Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.

Novelty Theater now includes information from the Bushwiki. Read more here.


 

New & Updated

  • Gustave Steinback (1878-1959) graduated from Columbia University's School of Architecture in 1900. From 1904 to 1913, he worked in partnership with his Columbia classmate Robert J. Reiley. Many of Reiley & Steinback's clients were Roman Catholic parishes and dioceses. After the firm dissolved in 1913, both partners started their own practices, and continued their focus on Roman Catholic works.

  • Charles Pierrepont Henry Gilbert.

    C. P. H. Gilbert: The Wild Years (Christopher Gray, Streetscapes)

  • Lawrence B. Valk (1838-1924) was a prominent Protestant church architect and theorist. He practiced under his own name and with his son Arthur, under the firm L. B. Valk & Son. Valk was based in Brooklyn and New York from 1859 to the early 1890s, but was very active throughout the United States. Around 1890, the firm moved to California, where it continued to be active through 1924.

  • Brooklyn is called the borough of churches, and in the 19th century, it seems that Brooklyn was also a big game of musical churches. Congregations would start up, grow quickly, and then split up or just plain disappear. Often the splits were the result of doctrinal disagreements among congregants or between congregants and their pastor. It was not uncommon for half a congregation to walk away from their church and establish a new church a few blocks away. Other times, demographics would lead to changes in congregations. As one result of all this factional tumult, church buildings would frequently change hands, being passed from denomination to denomination or among congregants of the same denomination.

  • Mollenhaur Sugar Refinery
    Mollenhauer Sugar Refinery, ca. 1905
    Kent Avenue and South 11th Street
    Architect unknown

     

  • Kent playground.jpg
    "Waterfront basketball--A spacious Park Department playground on Kent Ave. at the foot of Broadway
    provides ideal athletic facilities in the very shadow of Williamsburg Bridge."

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…