New & Updated

  • "Charles Engert, the builder, will erect 36 two-story frame dwellings with brick basements, all improvements, 18*50 each, on Humboldt Street, both sides, between Driggs and Nassau Avenues, F. J. Berlenbach, Jr., architect."1

    Reference is to buildings on both side of the street, 637 to 663 Humboldt Street and 654 to 692 Humboldt Street.

  • Constructed with 109 to 111 Franklin Street, this handsome pair of richly-decorated tenements is clad in red brick with sandstone trim, terrace cotta trim and iron cornices. The terra cotta details include decorative tiles in the lower spandrel areas and vertical piers between paired windows at 109, and at decorative panels within the round and segmental arches at the fourth floor. The sandstone trim (perhaps an Ohio stone) is a mix of rock-faced lintels and arch spring blocks and flat sills and sill courses. The flat-arch windows feature splayed brick lintels.

  • Constructed with 97 to 101 Franklin Street, this handsome pair of richly-decorated tenements is clad in red brick with sandstone trim, terrace cotta trim and iron cornices. The terra cotta details include decorative tiles in the lower spandrel areas and vertical piers between paired windows at 109, and at decorative panels within the round and segmental arches at the fourth floor. The sandstone trim (perhaps an Ohio stone) is a mix of rock-faced lintels and arch spring blocks and flat sills and sill courses. The flat-arch windows feature splayed brick lintels.

  • Partnership of J. William Schickel and Isaac E. Ditmars. Active primarily in New York City as well as in Brooklyn. The firm was especially known for its work on Roman Catholic churches for German congregations.

  • Stephen W. Dodge & Robert Morrison.

  • Architect of St. Luke's German Evangelical Lutheran Church (1894), St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church, 222 Adelphi Street (Marshall & Walters, 1888), Memorial Presbyterain Church (Pugin & Walter, 1882-83), Chapel and Sunday School (Marshall & Walter, 1883), Seventh Avenue & St. John's Place.

  • William Bunker Tubby (1858-1944) was a graduate of Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute in 1875. Tubby worked briefly in the office of Ebenezer Roberts, but by 1883 had established his own practice. Tubby worked extensively for the Pratt family, designing buildings for Pratt Institute and homes, garages and even mausolea for the family. Tubby also designed many private homes in Brooklyn Heights and elsewhere in the borough, as well as a police precinct and four of Brooklyn's Carnegie Libraries.

  • 1872 - 1954. Born in Philadelphia and educated at Spring Garden Institute, the Franklin Institute and the Universtiy of Penssylvania. Perrot interned with with George Plowman and Charles C. Haines, after which he spent two years with Catholic church architect E. F. Durang. After leaving Durang's office, he went to work at Hales & Ballinger, architects and engineers. After Hales' retirement, Perrot joined the partnership, which became Ballinger & Perrot. Perrot left the partnership in 1920 to begin his own practice.


Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.

Novelty Theater now includes information from the Bushwiki. Read more here.


 

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…