Update: Novelty Theater now incorporates data from the Bushwiki. Click here for more information.
Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.
The First Baptist Church, Greenpoint, was organized in 1847. At that time there "about thirteen Baptists living in Greenpoint", who organized a church with 9 members in the old Origen house on Franklin Avenue. "Rev. Mr. Jones and others supplied the pulpit" from 1847 to 1849. In 1849, the church erected a small structure at the corner of Leonard and Calyer Streets with a capacity of 100 worshippers. Mr. Peter Boyce officiated from 1851 to 1855, and was ordained in February of 1855. During this time, the first chaurch was enlarged. After a series of ministers, Rev.
Prominent ecclesiastical architect and author of "The What, How, and why of Church Building" (1897).
Bushwick Savings Bank was founded in 1868, but appears to have struggled in its early years.
R. (Richard) Thomas Short was active in Brooklyn and Manhattan real estate. In the early 20th century, Short had a partnership Herbert Harde (Steinhardt), which resulted in the design of Red House (350 West 85th Street), 45 East 66th Street, 44 West 77th Street and Alwyn Court at 58th Street and Seventh Avenue as well as aabout a dozen other apartment houses in Manhattan. Harde & Short's best known work in Brooklyn is Kismet Temple (1910) at Nostrand and Herkimer. Harde & Short broke up their partnership aronud 1912.
Property address is recorded in the Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide as 320 Herkimer, which may be a typo. According to the 1883 Brooklyn City Directory, the original owner, Thomas P. Wilkinson, lived at number 78 as early as 1883.
Queen Anne style house, designed by J. C. Cady in 1880. Wilkinson was a paper dealer who lived nearby at 174 Herkimer Street in 1880.