Update: Novelty Theater now incorporates data from the Bushwiki. Click here for more information.
Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.
The original Church of St. Rose of Lima was constructed 1870. The wood-frame Gothic-style church was designed by Thomas F. Houghton. The church, with a capacity of 300, was the first Catholic church to serve the people of the Greenfield section of southern Brooklyn.
Constructed in 1891 by furrier Louis Zechiel, this 5-story loft building sits at the junction of South 8th Street and Broadway, which gives the buildings its splayed plan form. The building is three bays wide at the first and second stories (the two western bays are on South 8th Street; the eastern bay is on Broadway) and nine bays wide at the upper three stories. On the upper stories the three windows at the center bay are divided by Ionic pilasters, with square arches at the third and fourth story and round arches at the top story.
Panorama view of Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, created from two ca. 1908 images from the Library of Congress. At the far left in the photo is the cast-iron building at 242 Broadway (Theobald Engelhardt, 1891). Immediately to the left of the bridge is the Williamsburgh Savings Bank building, and the the right of the bridge is the Williamsburgh Trust Company building, under construction.