Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.


 

New Entries

  • "The Methodist Episcopal Tabernacle at Greenpoint has just been built of brick, with brown stone facings, at a cost of $50,000." 1

    • 1. "Church Improvements in Brooklyn", Brooklyn Eagle, 21 July 1869 (pg. 2)
  • Laying of the cornerstone attended by 10,000 people, let by Bishop Loughlin. Construction was "begun on the second day of June under the superintendence of Mr. P. C. Keeley [sic], architect, who numbers this as his three hundred and eighty fifth church edifice he has been engaged in building on this continent. Its dimensions are 68 feet in width by 156 feet in depth, and judging by the massive appearance of the walls, constructed by the builder, Mr. Jas. Radwell [sic, probably Rodwell, a prominent local builder], will be as substantial an edifice as any in the States.

  • <p><a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/science/09monitor.html">Conservation of the Monitor's turret is a slow process</a>. The turret was salvaged off of Cape Hatteras over a decade ago, and the process will take another 15 years.</p>

  • <p><a href="http://brooklynology.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/post/2011/08/05/Peter-Co… has a lengthy post on Peter Cooper</a> and his glue factory that was once one of the major foulers of Newtown Creek. Cooper's glue factory stood not too far from Peter Cooper Houses, the NYCHA development in East Williamsburg.

  • <p><a href="http://www.npr.org/2011/08/03/138924245/the-long-hot-road-to-modern-air… had a brief piece on the dispute over who deserves credit for inventing the air conditioner</a> - Willis Carrier (who invented the air conditioner) or John Gorrie (who seems to have developed the concept of the refrigerator). What NPR doesn't mention is that the long, hot road to modern air conditioning passed right through Brooklyn.

  • Church of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, 211 East 83rd Street, Manhattan. "Built in 1893 as the Second Immanuel Lutheran Church and altered [in 1917??] by Francis J. Berlenbach. 1

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…