Ulrich Huberty, the eldest son of Peter and Rosa Huberty, was born in Brooklyn in 1876. He opened an independent architectural practice in 1897 having served an apprenticeship in the office of Frank Freeman where he rose to the position of head draftsman. While in independent practice Huberty designed a range of new buildings and alterations. Among the new projects was the house at 1019 Bushwick Avenue for his parents.
Joining William H. Hudswell, Jr. as Huberty & Hudswell in 1902, the new firm took over the business of Frank J. Helmle following the architect’s appointment to the position of Superintendent of Public Buildings and Offices for Brooklyn. The following year, Helmle returned to architectural practice and joined the partners to create the firm Helmle, Huberty & Hudswell. Hudswell left the firm in 1906 after which Helmle and Huberty continued in practice together until Ulrich Huberty’s untimely death from typhoid fever in 1910.
Ulrich Huberty, independently and in various partnerships, was among the most notable proponents in Brooklyn of the brand of Classicism espoused by the City Beautiful Movement. A significant number of the borough’s most prominent bank and commercial buildings were designed by Huberty or his firm including the 1905 and 1925 additions to the Williamsburgh Savings Bank (a designated New York City Landmark), Hotel Bossert (1908-13, Helmle & Huberty in the Brooklyn Heights Historic District) and 186 and 188 Montague Street (1904-06, Helmle, Huberty & Hudswell in the Borough Hall Skyscraper Historic District). Civic commissions included designated New York City Landmarks such as the Prospect Park Boathouse (1904, Helmle & Huberty)16 and Winthrop Park Shelter Pavilion (1910, Helmle & Huberty). In addition the firm designed numerous residences and ecclesiastical buildings throughout Brooklyn many of them located within designated historic districts.1
- 1Marianne S. Percival, Peter P. and Rosa M. Huberty House (New York: NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission, 2017), 8-9.