Note: This is not a static site - entries are being updated continuously. New entries are listed immediately below, but check on the bottom of the page for recently updated entries.


 

New Entries

  • Second parish in Kings County, founded in 1838 as a parish of the diocese of New York. Merged into St. Peter/St. Paul/Our Lady of Pilar parish in 1975.

  • Founded 1823, as the third Roman Catholic parish of the Diocese of the New York. St. James was the first Roman Catholic parish on Long Island. St. James became the cathedral parish of the Diocese of Brooklyn on its founding in 1853 (which at the time comprised all of Long Island). The existing church of St. James was constructed in 1903.

  • The South Third Street Presbyterian Church of Williamsburgh is one of the oldest congregations in Williamsburg. The church was organized on April 19, 1844 in a meeting held at the public school at South Third Street and Fifth Street (Driggs Avenue) - across the street from the current church. The church was founded with 27 members, most of whom came from the First Presbyterian Church of Williamsburgh.

  • Organized on April 19, 1844 as the Presbyterian Church of Williamsburgh, Old School. Original church structure was finished in May, 1846.1

  • Constructed as the boiler house for J. Kayser & Co., manufacturer of silk goods and underwear. The building was a single story, but 85' tall. Kayser's factory was located on this block and on the block to the east. W.L. Fleisher & Co. were the engineers for the construction.1 The building has been converted to residential use, with windows introduced throughout the front facade.

  • Rev. Father Emil Strenski.

    reference: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, 11 January 1919 (v. 103, no. 2), 61.

  • Located at the southeast corner of Stagg Street and Leonard Street, on the present-day site of Williamsburg Houses. Date of demolition is not known.

  • Building record source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, (v. 21, no. 523) 23 March 1878.

    Two buildings fronting on Graham Avenue appear to be of the same design.

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…