A rare (and perhaps early?) non-ecclesiastical building designed by Thomas Houghton.
Constructed in 1851 at a cost of $13,000, this was the second church for the York Street M. E. Church.
Fourth church of the Sands Street Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest Methodist Episcopal congregation in Kings County. Originally constructed in 1844, the building burned in the great fire of 1848 and was rebuilt in the following year.
The parish of St. Patrick was founded in the early 1840s, prior to the establishment of the Diocese of Brooklyn. The origins of the church are a bit obscure, but it appears to have been founded as a parish for Irish Catholics in East Brooklyn (now Clinton Hill/Bedford-Stuyvesant), with the first services held in private structures near Wallabout Street and Flushing Avenue. Early secondary-source references to the church call it the Wallabout Church. In 1843, Rev. Hugh Maguire was appointed as the first priest for the parish.
1917. Designed by Sass & Springsteen for S. Kaplan & Son, owner and builder, of 750 Driggs Avenue.
"Union Pl. 70 n. of NW cor. Kent St."
Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 375, May 22, 1875), 361.
Demolished; replaced by a mid-1920s apartment building. Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 370, April 17, 1875), 271.
One of a group of three buildings built by builder John Wilson. All three are described as "brown stone dwellings", although only basement is faced in brownstone. Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 370, April 17, 1875), 271.
Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 368, April 3, 1875), 233.
Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 366, March 20, 1875), 204.