Smithsonian Hall, the only cast-iron building in Greenpoint, was built by Edward Smith, of Smith, Gray & Co. Gray tapped William F. Gaylor, architect for Smith, Gray & Co.'s Broadway cast-iron buildings, as the architect for this project.1
Hall associated with Ss. Peter & Paul Parish. The building was contracted as a gift of Mrs. Jeremiah Walsh and named in honor of her brother. References: "Father Malone's Reward", New York Times, August 16, 1897. "The McCadden [sic] Memorial", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, May 6, 1897, 16. "McCaddin Hall Opening", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, November 13, 1898, 30.