The Williamsburgh Turn Verein, or Turner Hall, was the "oldest and most prominent German society" in Brooklyn in the second half of the 19th century.1 The organization was founded sometime in 1853, possibly by Father John Raffeiner of Holy Trinity Church2 , and the building pictured here was probably constructed around 1860. Sometime after 1868 (probably 1873), the Williamsburgh Turners constructed a school on the property to the west. In later years, the hall was known as Phillips' Turn Hall.
67 Meserole Street
Brooklyn, NY 11206