East Williamsburg

473 Grand Street

Four-story Italianate tenement with cast-iron lintels and sills. Address at time of construction was 379 Grand Street. Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 368, April 3, 1875), 233.

Congregation Beth Jacob

Congregation Beth Jacob, S. Baum, rabbi, have determined to rebuild the synagogue on the east side of Keap near South 4th Street partly destroyed by lightning “some weeks ago”.1 In 1898 Hyde atlas, building appears as wood frame.

St. Johannes German Evangelical Lutheran

St. Johannes German Evangelical Lutheran (now St. John the Evangelist) Church was founded in 1844 as what appears to be a non-denominational protestant congregation of German-speaking worshippers. At the time, German immigrants were just beginning to arrive in large numbers to the town of Williamsburgh. From 1844 to 1854 the church was located on the corner of Wyckoff (now Ten Eyck) Street and Graham Avenue. The congregation was a mix of Reform, Evangelical and Lutheran congregants and was known as the "German Evangelical Congregation".