29 Quealy Place
Rockville Centre, NY 11570
The present Church of St. Agnes in Rockville Centre was designed by Gustave Steinbeck and completed in 1935. Monsignor Peter Quealy oversaw the parish during the interwar years, a period of great expansion for the church. This structure replaced an earlier marble church. In 1957, Pope Pius XII created the Diocese of Rockville Centre, thus elevating the church to a cathedral. The Diocese, which served Nassau and Suffolk counties, was split off from the Diocese of Brooklyn. Most Reverend Walter P. Kellenberg, formerly the Bishop of Ogdensburg, N.Y. was appointed as the first Bishop of the Diocese of Rockville Centre. The current structure appears to be the third church for the parish.