265 Clinton Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
St. Joseph's College for Women was founded in 19161 and was first located on Washington Avenue. It operated as a women's college until 1970, when it became co-educational. The college was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph in Brentwood, N.Y., and was the only all-female college in Brooklyn.2
The Sisters of St. Joseph appear to have operated a college in Brentwood, Long Island and a school at St. Angela's Hall on Washington Street in Brooklyn. In 1918, the Sisters of St. Joseph acquired the former George Pratt mansion on Clinton Avenue, and converted the building to a convent.3 In 1928, Gustave Steinback was retained to design a new college hall to be constructed to the south of the Pratt mansion. This three-story structure, constructed of brick with stone trim, was to cost $200,000.4
- 1“Regents Favor ‘Zoos’”, Brooklyn Daily Eagle, (25 Feb 1916), p. 14.
- 2"St. Joseph's College(New York)", Wikipedia (accessed 5 May 2017).
- 3“Former Home of G. D. Pratt In Clinton Avenue Sold to St. Joseph’s Sisterhood”, Brooklyn Daily Eagle (13 Jul 1918), p. 16.
- 4“Building Plans at Boro Bureau Total $4,500,000”, Brooklyn Daily Eagle (20 May 1928), p. 40.