Thomas Shoe Factory

Listed in the Real Estate Record as 5 stories, built at 6.1 The building was sold by Thomas to Israel Rokeach in 1913. By 1917, the building was occupied by Israel Rokeach and the Progressive Knitting Mills. In that year, a catastrophic fire occurred that nearly destroyed the building.2 Five years later, another fire devastated the building.3

  • 1. "Buildings Projected," Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide, 28 May 1892 (v. 49, no. 1263), 872.
  • 2. "Big Factory Building on Hewes St. Destroyed," Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 16 February 1917, 4.
  • 3. "6 Firemen Overcome at So. 5th St. Blaze", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 15 June 1922, 24.
Year
1892
NB#
949
Building type
Factory
Block
2464
Lot
14
Address

420 South Fifth Street
11211 NY
United States

Owner name
Thomas & Co.
Owner address
304 Hewes Street
Builder
PCarlin & Son and PF O'Brien & Son
stories
6
Material
Dimensions
50x100
cost
31,000

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…