Our Lady of Mercy (1908), Brooklyn

Following its exile from its original Debevoise Street location, Our Lady of Mercy parish reestablished itself on Schermerhorn Street in 1908. The cornerstone for this new church was laid on December 2, 19061 and the church was dedicated on February 12, 19082. This new church would be demolished within a quarter of a century, this time to make way for excavation along Schermerhorn Street for the the construction of the Fulton Street (A, C) and Crosstown (G) lines of the subway.3 The subway construction required digging up the street and construction and underpinning below the buildings. Rather than endure that work, the Diocese closed the church, rectory next door and the parochial school and convent, located on State Street. This time, the parish elected to close - citing a dwindling congregation in the face of a changing downtown Brooklyn - rather than relocate.4 The church and parish closed in 1930.

  • 1

    "Cornerstone Laid by Bishop M'Donnell: New Church of Our Lady of Mercy to Cost $250,000", Brooklyn Eagle (December 3, 1906), 4.

  • 2

    "Dedication of the Church of Our Lady of Mercy", Brooklyn Eagle (February 13, 1908), 19.

  • 3

    "Our Lady of Mercy Structure, Convent and Parochial School Will Be Condemned to Make Way for New Tube Projects on Schermerhorn", Brooklyn Eagle (October 5, 1928), 1.

  • 4

    "Church Can't Stay Put; Transit Forces Shifts", Brooklyn Eagle (January 9, 1930), 5.

Year
1908
Address

285 Schermerhorn Street
Brooklyn, NY 11217
United States

Architect