The first mass in Greenpoint was celebrated in 1855 in a hall at the corner of Franklin and Eagle Streets. Later masses were held at a hall at the northeast corner of Manhattan Avenue and India Street. In 1856, Bishop Loughlin purchased lots on the south side of India Street between Manhattan Avenue and Oakland Street, and church structure was constructed on that site and dedicated in early 1858. Prior to 1872, the parish purchased the plot of land on the east side of Manhattan Avenue at the head of Milton Street from Samuel J. Tilden.
Immaculate Conception Church is commonly called St. Mary. Founded in 1847 as an offshoot of Sts. Peter & Paul for Irish Catholics living in East Williamsburg. Church constructed in 1853. The parish closed in about 2014 and merged with Most Holy Trinity.
Founded in 1845, originally a parish of the Diocese of New York.
Now St. Patrick-St. Lucy parish. The parish of St. Patrick was founded in 1843, prior to the establishment of the Diocese of Brooklyn.
Established in 1842.
Most Holy Trinity parish was founded as the German Church of the Holy Trinity in 1841. It was the first National parish in the Brooklyn diocese, and officially the first Catholic parish in Williamsburgh (Sts. Peter and Paul began services in 1840, but was not formally established until 1844). Most Holy Trinity was also the mother church for a host of other German parishes over time. Holy Trinity was founded by Father John Raffeiner, a wealthy doctor-turned-priest from Austria.
Located at Hick & Warren Streets. Our Lady of Pilar merged into St. Peter in 1934. St. Peter-Our Lady of Pilar closed in 1974 and merged with St. Paul parish on Court Street. The church, rectory and school of St. Peter's church were converted to apartments in the early 2000s.
Second parish in the Diocese of Brooklyn.
Founded 1822, as the third Roman Catholic parish of the Diocese of the New York. St. James was the first Roman Catholic parish on Long Island. St. James became the cathedral parish of the Diocese of Brooklyn on its founding in 1853 (which at the time comprised all of Long Island). The existing church of St. James was constructed in 1903.
The Parish of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in 1864, an offshoot of Most Holy Trinity Church on Montrose Avenue. The first church building for the predominantly German Annunciation congregation was probably a wooden structure located on the northwest corner of Havemeyer and North Fifth Streets, where the school is now located. Rev. John Hauptmann was the first priest of the parish. The existing church, designed by Francis J. Himpler, was constructed in 1870.
Founded in 1806, the First Methodist Episcopal congregation was the first to be founded in what would become the Village of Williamsburgh, and the second in the Town of Bushwick. The first church for the congregation was constructed in 1808 on North 2nd Street (Metropolitan Avenue) and Fifth (Driggs) Street. The last church for this congregation (constructed in 1839) still stands on South Second Street. From about 1839 until it burned down in 1845, a Black congregation worshipped in the old church.