New Entries

Building

Cornerstone laid on July 17, 1853 by Archbishop Hughes of the Diocese of New York; church dedicated April 29, 1855 with Archbishop Hughes of New York and Bishop Loughlin of Brooklyn in attendance. Thomas Houghton is credited as the carpenter.

(Note: some sources say this building was constructed circa 1866-1875.)

Building

Parish founded in 1847.

Building
Engine Company Number 1 (the Northside Roosters) was first organized in 1834. The former firehouse at 147 Metropolitan Avenue was constructed circa 1861, but its use as a firehouse was very short-lived.
Building
Parochial school for St. Benedict Parish, Brooklyn. Constructed 1894, designed by Francis J. Berlenbach, Jr.
Building
St. Benedict parish was established in 1853 as a German national parish in "New Brooklyn". The church was designed by William Schickel and completed in 1874.
Person

Designed the Bellrose Ballroom at 1391 Bedford, originally built as Chevrolet auto showroom. 1918. Also described as a builder.

Person

Partnership of Henry J. Nurick and (probably) Abraham Farber. Responsible for Congregation Men of Justice, Brownsville. Office at 1028 Gates Avenue in 1912. The partnership appears to have been active from 1911 to about 1914.

Building

Founded in 1909, Congregation Men of Justice (Anshe Zedek) was constructed in 1913 to the designs of architects Farber & Nurick.

Building

St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church was a German congregation, established in February, 1864 in a tenement house on North 3rd Street between Kent and Wythe.

Building

3 apartment buildings, replaced the Lee Avenue Congregational Church.

Person

"An architect, died at his home in Brooklyn, New York, March 11, 1911, aged fifty-two. He was born in Brooklyn.