St. Mary Star of the Sea R.C. Church, Brooklyn

Cornerstone laid on July 17, 1853 by Archbishop Hughes of the Diocese of New York; church dedicated April 29, 1855 with Archbishop Hughes of New York and Bishop Loughlin of Brooklyn in attendance. Patrick Keely was the architect and Thomas Houghton ("a new comer to our city, who has given evidence that he is a perfect master of his business") was the carpenter.1 The steeple was added in 1872 as part of a $10,000 renovation designed by Keely.2

(Note: some sources say this building was constructed circa 1866-1875; this may refer to the 1872 renovation described above or the construction of the school, which was "a few years ago" in 1872.)

  • 1

    "Dedication of a New Catholic Church", Brooklyn Eagle (April 26, 1855), 2.

  • 2

    "Architecture", Brooklyn Eagle (November 18, 1872), 11.

Year
1853
Address

467 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231
United States

Builder
Thomas Houghton