Smithsonian Hall, the only cast-iron building in Greenpoint, was built by Edward Smith, of Smith, Gray & Co. Gray tapped William F. Gaylor, architect for Smith, Gray & Co.'s Broadway cast-iron buildings, as the architect for this project.1
The First Baptist Church, Greenpoint, was organized in 1847. At that time there "about thirteen Baptists living in Greenpoint", who organized a church with 9 members in the old Origen house on Franklin Avenue. "Rev. Mr. Jones and others supplied the pulpit" from 1847 to 1849. In 1849, the church erected a small structure at the corner of Leonard and Calyer Streets with a capacity of 100 worshippers. Mr. Peter Boyce officiated from 1851 to 1855, and was ordained in February of 1855. During this time, the first chaurch was enlarged. After a series of ministers, Rev.
Cornerstone laid by Bishop Loughlin on 27 September 1891; the church was dedicated 26 November 1893. Rev. E. J. McGolrick was the priest in charge of construction of the church. The rectory and a separate chapel were constructed at the same time, with both also designed by Poole.
"The Greenpoint Reformed Dutch Church is going up in K street, near Union avenue. It is to be in the Romanesque style of the French city of Rheims in the thirteenth century. It will be of brick, faced with light and brown stone. It will front 74 feet between the extreme edges of the towers, and will be 95 feet in depth. The cost is to be $50,000. William B. Ditmar [sic] is the architect." 1
Now Polish National Church of the Resurrection.