The original Church of St. Rose of Lima was constructed 1870. The wood-frame Gothic-style church was designed by Thomas F. Houghton. The church, with a capacity of 300, was the first Catholic church to serve the people of the Greenfield section of southern Brooklyn.
Cornerstone laid 3 October 1937 1 . The parish's first church was dedicated in 1942, was originally church of St. Francis de Sales. Fr. Fusco bought the church, had it transported and had it put on a concrete foundation. The original altar, confessionals and altar went to other parishes (St. Teresa of Avila, Brooklyn, Our Lady of Mercy, St. Monica's and St. Andrew, Manhattan).
1490 - Melrose st, Nos. 156 and 158, s s, 1.50 w Knickerbocker av, two three-story frame (brick filled) tenem'ts, 25x5.5, tin roofs; cost, each, $4,000 Daniel Kreuder and M. Mayer, 47 McKibben st and 342 Ellery st; ar't, Th. Engelhardt; b'rs, D. Kreuder aud M. Mayer. 1