167 Grand Street
Real estate record and builders' guide: v. 20, no. 500: October 13, 1877, p. 798. Owner listed as Daniel Maujer in Brooklyn Eagle1
- Read more about 167 Grand Street
- Log in to post comments
Real estate record and builders' guide: v. 20, no. 500: October 13, 1877, p. 798. Owner listed as Daniel Maujer in Brooklyn Eagle1
Built ca. 1840s or 1850s, possibly for J. C. Gandar. Occupied by Gandar's Bookstore through the 1880s. Purchased by Robert and John Whalen in 1886; housed their moving company through the 1940s. Building was demolished in 2007 for a new condominium development.
The "congregation founded by 65 German emigrants who had settled in the old village of East New York, in the town of New Lots, now the 26th Ward. The congregants first met in the Sackman homestead on Liberty Avenue, which was then known as Virginia Road, at the corner of New Jersey Avenue. Founders included Frederick Middendorf, president of the East New York Savings Bank... The village at that time was divided in three sections, known as Plunders Neck, BonaFettle [?] and Blood Hollow. The first two sections were German, the latter Irish... Rev. F. G. Zenner was the first pastor.