One of a row of eight buildings (337 through 351 Vernon Avenue) designed by Englehardt for Hallheimer in 1888 (note that Real Estate Record describes this as eight buildings, but eight were constructed; the eighth building (337 Vernon at the corner of Lewis) was demolished between 1940 and 1980.
Four identical buildings at this location; 224 Hewes Street may be a fourth building in this development.
Source: Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (vol. 14, no 337, August 29, 1874), 147.
Constructed for the Hammond Beef Company of Fort Greene1, the richly-decorated (and heavily-eroded) brownstone decoration includes a steer's head in the keystone of main arch. This building was one of many along North 6th Street that formed the nucleus of Williamsburg's meat packing district from the late-19th century forward.
The First Methodist Church of Williamsburgh was organized in 1806, making it the oldest ecclesiastical organization in the village of Williamsburgh, and the second oldest church in the Town of Bushwick
Edward Smith was the founder of Smith-Gray
Real Estate Record & Builders Guide, v. 38, no. 959 (July 31, 1886), 989.