School

St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Church (Williamsburg)

St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church was a German congregation, established in February, 1864 in a tenement house on North 3rd Street between Kent and Wythe. That same year, the congregation purchased the former Williamsburgh city jail on North 5th Street between Driggs and Roebling and converted the building into a church, which was opened on August 28, 1864.

Children's Mission, Greenpoint

This building at 125 Eagle Street looks like it was once something, and sure enough it was. It was built in 1891 as the Children's Mission, a project of the Greenpoint Reformed Church on Kent Street. The Mission was established on November 20, 1881 as a Sunday school occupying a storefront on Eagle Street. The school quickly grew, adding rooms in a nearby building, but by 1883 those accommodations were already insufficient and the children of the school began raising money for a new building. Over the course of seven or eight years the students raised about $1,500.