Founded in 1806, the First Methodist Episcopal congregation was the first to be founded in what would become the Village of Williamsburgh, and the second in the Town of Bushwick. The first church for the congregation was constructed in 1808 on North 2nd Street (Metropolitan Avenue) and Fifth (Driggs) Street. The last church for this congregation (constructed in 1839) still stands on South Second Street. From about 1839 until it burned down in 1845, a Black congregation worshipped in the old church.
- Log in to post comments
19 March 2022