Child church of the Sands Street Methodist Episcopal Church, founded in 1823. Its first house of worship was a frame building designed by Gamaliel King and Joseph Moser that was dedicated on 6 June 1824. The church was enlarged in 1835 and had side galleries added in 1839. A parsonage was constructed in 1828.
York Street M. E. operated under Sands Street M. E. until 1835, when it was formally established as an independent church. The first meeting of the independent Board of Trustees took place on 4 June 1835 and included Benjamin R. Prince (president); M. Suydam (treasurer); Christopher Hempstead; and Joshua Rogers.
In 1851 a new brick church was constructed. The church was dedicated on 23 January 1853. In April 1853 ground was broken for a new lecture hall and sabbath school.1
- 1Henry Reed Stiles, A History of the City of Brooklyn : Including the Old Town and Village of Brooklyn, the Town of Bushwick, and the Village and City of Williamsburgh, vol. 3, 3 vols. (Brooklyn, N.Y.: Pub. by subscription, 1867), 705-706.