The Parish of the Most Precious Blood was founded in 1922, with Edward A. Holran as the first parish priest. The original parishioners were predominantly Irish, German and Italian residents of Long Island City. Fr. James J. Comerford was the priest at the time of the construction of the chuch.
Long Island City
Our Lady of Mount Carmel was the first Roman Catholic parish founded in the county of Queens. The parish was founded in 1841 or 1843, before the founding of the Diocese of Brooklyn. As such, Mt. Carmel was founded under the auspices of the Diocese of New York. The parish was founded by Father Michael Curran, who traveled from his parish in Harlem to what was at first a mission church. The first church building dated to 1840, predating the founding of the parish itself.