The Parish of the Most Precious Blood was founded in 1922, with Edward A. Holran as the first parish priest. The original parishioners were predominantly Irish, German and Italian residents of Long Island City. Fr. James J. Comerford was the priest at the time of the construction of the chuch. The building, constructed of brick with cast-stone trim and aluminum metalwork, was one of two churches to be awarded a Bronze Plaque by the Queensborough Chamber of Commerce as best institutional buildings of 1931.1
- 1. "Award 1931 Best Buildings in Queens Area", Brooklyn Daily Eagle, January 31, 1932, page 41.
32-23 36th Street
Long Island City, NY 11106
Interior crucifix, altar and wainscot by Sheridan & Milko, Inc.
Received Queensboro Chamber of Commerce Award.
Arnsud, L. “The Church of the Most Precious Blood, Astoria, Long Island, N.Y.,” Liturgical Acts, (Spring 1932): 146-157.
“Seven Buildings Win Awards in Queens,” New York Times, January 31, 1932.