One of a group of three buildings built by builder John Wilson. All three are described as "brown stone dwellings", although only basement is faced in brownstone. Real Estate Record & Builders' Guide (v. 15, no. 370, April 17, 1875), 271.
"Th. Engelhardt is preparing plans for a four-story brick (stone front) store and flat, 22x90, to be erected on the northeast corner of Bedford avenue and Hayward [sic, Heyward] street, and a similar private flat, 28x65, adjoining, for Jacob Bossert, to cost $30,000..."1
Ross Street Presbyterian Church was founded in 1864 by members of the South Third Street Presbyterian Church. Early supporters included Sylvester M. Beard, Eli Beard and Halsey Fitch.
Cornerstone laid in September 1889. The current structure replaced an older structure dating to about 1874 that was located to the east on Hooper Street. The old church was built with the intention of later being converted to a school, and therefore had beam pockets built into the walls for the installation of two new floors at a future date. (That church/school was later replaced with a new school.)
St. Patrick parish was founded in 1849 as St. Patrick Church Mission to serve Ft. Hamilton area, making it one of the oldest parishes in Brooklyn (although at the time of its founding, Bay Ridge was part of the separate town of New Utrecht, not the town of Brooklyn). The church was the Catholic parish of soldiers stationed at Ft. Hamilton. The first St. Patrick church at Fort Hamilton was dedicated in 1852.