Cornerstone laid in September 1889. The current structure superseded an older chapel designed by Thomas Houghton1 dating to 1875 that was located just to the east on Hooper Street. The original chapel was built with the intention of later being converted to a school, and therefore had beam pockets built into the walls for the installation of two new floors at a future date. (That chapel/school was later replaced with a new school.)2 The cornerstone for the new church, also designed by Thomas Houghton, was laid on Sunday, November 3, 1889 3 The new church opened in 1890.
263 Marcy Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11211