Smithsonian Hall, the only cast-iron building in Greenpoint, was built by Edward Smith, of Smith, Gray & Co. Gray tapped William F. Gaylor, architect for Smith, Gray & Co.'s Broadway cast-iron buildings, as the architect for this project.1
Organized on April 19, 1844 as the Presbyterian Church of Williamsburgh, Old School. Original church structure was finished in May, 1846.1
Congregation Beth Jacob, S. Baum, rabbi, have determined to rebuild the synagogue on the east side of Keap near South 4th Street partly destroyed by lightning “some weeks ago”.1 In 1898 Hyde atlas, building appears as wood frame.
Ross Street Presbyterian Church was founded in 1864 by members of the South Third Street Presbyterian Church. Early supporters included Sylvester M. Beard, Eli Beard and Halsey Fitch.
Convent constructed for the Sisters of St. Dominic, who prior to taking up residence here had been located at Graham and Montrose avenues. The building was converted to residential use starting in the mid-1980s.
Cornerstone laid in September 1889. The current structure superseded an older chapel designed by Thomas Houghton1 dating to 1875 that was located just to the east on Hooper Street. The original chapel was built with the intention of later being converted to a school, and therefore had beam pockets built into the walls for the installation of two new floors at a future date.
Congregation started in 1847, first worshiping on Powers Street (Third Avenue). Constructed in 1851 for St. Peter's Episcopal Church. The cornerstone for the church was laid in 1850 and the building opened for services in May, 1851. By 1856, St. Peter's had outgrown the building and began construction of a new church on State Street, near Bond. Between 1857 and 1863 the building was occupied by the First Reform Presbyterian Church. The building was sold to the Church of the Convenanters in 1860. In 1864, the Second United Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn acquired the building.
Church was founded in 1869. The first structure used by the congregation was a former public hall on Cumberland Street. From 1871 to 1893, the congregation worshipped in a frame church that they had moved from Gold Street to Carlton Avenue near Myrtle Avenue.1