Ross Street Presbyterian Church was founded in 1864 by members of the South Third Street Presbyterian Church. Early supporters included Sylvester M. Beard, Eli Beard and Halsey Fitch. The congregation met in a chapel on Wilson Street until 1871, when the church on Ross Street was constructed.1 The cornerstone for the Ross Street edifice was laid on June 6, 1871.2 Frederick D. Mollenhauer, the sugar baron, worshipped at Ross Street.
Ross Street Presbyterian Church merged with Central Presbyterian Church in 1914.3 Prior to this merger, there were discussions about mergers with other congregations, including the Ainslie Street Presbyterian Church, Bedford Presbyterian Church and the First United Presbyterian Church. In April of 1914, the church considered an offer for its property4, and within weeks a deal had been struck to sell the property for $48,000 to $50,000, apparently with a Jewish synagogue with plans to construct and apartment building on the site5.
The church was demolished in early 1915, and replaced with an apartment building designed by architects Shampan & Shampan. According to the Eagle, the church was purchased by Isaac Haft, Inc. in January of 1915 for a price of $45,000.6 In March of 1915, three men – Tony Zeron, Carollo Siginonowitz and Stephen Toplowski – fell to their deaths while working on the demolition of the church's steeple.7
Rev. Dr. Charles Pomeroy (1864 - 1875)
Rev. W. H. McGinley (1875 - 1878)
Rev. Dr. Archibald McCullagh (1878 - 1890)
Rev. John Erskine Adams (1890 - 1914)
- 1. “Founded in Time of War: Thirty Years of Good Works by a Brooklyn Church,” New York Times, May 7, 1894, 9.
- 2. “Another Church Edifice,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, June 7, 1871, 4.
- 3. “Ross St. and Central Presbyterian Unite,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, November 17, 1914.; “Union of Churches Formally Ratified: Presbytery Approves Amalgamation of Ross St. and Central Organizations,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, November 24, 1914, 9.
- 4. “May Raze Church for Big Apartment,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, April 1, 1914, 11.
- 5. “Ross St. Church to Sell at $50,000,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, April 19, 1914, 65.
- 6. “Will Soon Wreck Old Ross St. Church,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, February 19, 1915, 22.
- 7. “Three Men Fall 45 Feet,” Brooklyn Daily Eagle, March 10, 1915, 2.
155 Ross Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211